Retrieving Credentials from the SharePoint’s Secure Store Server

Hey everyone,

This is more of a reminder post for myself. But my team was having troubles remembering the credentials we set up in one of our Secure Store Application entries. Unfortunately there is no way to retrieve it from Central Admin, so I assumed there had to be some PowerShell or C# way of retrieving it.

While googling around I came across this great console application by Mike Hacker that solved our problem completely:

Thought I would post a link to it in case any one else had a similar issue and so I don’t have to google around again 🙂

My thanks to Mike.


User Information not Changing in Site Collection After Being Updated in Active Directory

Hey Guys,

This is more a follow up most to my previous post on User can’t access SharePoint site after granting appropriate permissions, however I’ve seemed to find a better solution.

Recently a user had their name changed in Active Directory, but the problem was this name change was not reflected in their site collection. The thing that made this weird was that it was only in this one site collection that there was a problem. I’ve checked the User Profile in Central Admin and all looks good. I’ve tried adding the user to another site and all looks good. But for some reason this one site collection was not properly updating the username.

Now when you add a user to a site collection your creating an instance of that user in the hidden user information list: http://Server/sites/YourSiteCollection/_catalogs/users/details.aspx.

This list is what dictates what information a user would have presented about themselves in a Site. As long as a user remains active on a site i.e. updating/modifying files, this hidden user list would get synched with user profiles in Central Admin. Now in my case for some reasone this list was not getting updated by the user synch. Unfortunately I have not yet found a solution to why it was not getting updated but I have found a work around to fix the individual user who had their information changed.

The fix is to have them deleted completely from the site collection. My previous post was a bit of a pain to do but really all you would need to do is view all people of the site using this view:

From there you can select the user and go to Actions >  Delete Users from Site Collection. After you should be able to re-add the user and it will pull their information properly from Active Directory.

Hope this helps